Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are quick and fairly healthy if made with low fat ingredients, add some rice if you want to stretch them farther or just go with basic bean and cheese.
- 396.89 g can refried beans (I use fat free)
- 4.92 ml chili powder or 4.92 ml ground dried chile
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 0.75-1.25 ml garlic powder
- hot sauce
- 236.59 ml hot cooked rice (I usually omit) (optional)
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese or 226.79 g monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded or thinly sliced (I use low fat)
- your favorite salsa
- 1 package flour tortilla (10-in. The recipe usually uses 5 tortillas the way I make it)
Any or all of the following to taste
- chopped tomato
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- sliced scallion
- sliced jalapeno
- sour cream
- Place beans in microwave safe dish.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients.
- Heat on medium power for about 3 minutes or until hot, stirring once halfway through.
- Alternatively, heat over low heat on stovetop until warmed through.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add water.
- Mix in rice, if using.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas.
- Use the method you like best.
- I usually just heat them one at a time in a dry skillet over medium heat, about 20-30 secs per side, or just until pliable.
- Place about 1/3 cup bean mixture in each tortilla, add cheese, salsa and toppings, and roll.
- You can bake them in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes if you want them firmer/crisper.
- I like to skip this step.
- That's it!
- These refrigerate well for a few days.
- I can't speak for the freezer.
- I end up with 5 medium sized burritos; if you use the rice or more veggies, you will get more.
- Since I usually reheat one or two at a time, I add sour cream after reheating.
- No one would call these authentic Mexican food; they taste more like a fresher and better version of Taco Bell, but they are very good.
Good simple recipe that we liked. I doubled everything, cooked 1 c brown rice and added it. It made about 14 burritos. We topped with sour cream and homemade "fire" sauce from this site. (Search for "39226"- good stuff!)
Love these! I added rice and these turned out perfectly. I also baked them in the oven as I wanted them to be extra crispy! Great flavour and a really simple, tasty dinner recipe!
DH and I made these easy burritos for lunch today. Yummy and quick with no prep other than chopping up a few toppings. Omitted the optional rice. Thanks!