These are meatless chimichangas. This recipe comes from Pati Jinich of Pati's Mexican Table on PBS.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno peppers (more or less to taste) or 1 serrano chili, seeded and chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups refried beans (canned or homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups manchego cheese or 2 cups chihuahua cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese or 2 cups light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 flour tortillas, medium size (sometimes labeled for fajitas)
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat and add half the oil; saute onions until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add chile and garlic; stir about 1 minute.
- Add refried beans and water; stir and chop to fully combine, then turn off heat.
- Heat tortillas, one at a time, over medium low heat just to soften, about 15 seconds per side.
- Spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons of beans and 2 heaping tablespoons cheese; fold by bringing the side closest to you about halfway up.
- Fold in the sides, then continue rolling; flatten slightly with your hand.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium low heat; brown chimichangas, in batches, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with pico de gallo, sour cream, and shredded cheese, or whatever you choose.