Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Anasazi Beans are offered by the Adobe Milling Co and can be ordered online from Colorado. Great beans! Named after the ancient Native Americans in that area. Great as a tortilla filling or side dish.
- 1⁄2 lb dried anasazi beans
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Cook beans at a gentle boil in 3 cups water, covered, until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain beans and save liquid.
- Saute onion, green pepper, garlic and bacon; mash beans together with sauteed mixture, adding a little liquid at a time, until bean mixture is smooth.
- Can be frozen.
This recipe is simple with just a few common ingredients. You can add your own personal touch with any variation of spices, peppers or onions. Makes excellent tacos or burittos.
I made it vegan without the bacon and it was tasty!