Recipe by Gwanny Hill
I remember during the "big war" (1940s) when Mama would host the Missionary Society meetings, she would often serve this salad--it was very special because of all the cheese and real whipping cream--we felt RICH!
Top Review by WhatamIgonnaeatnext?
This is very good and easy to make. I made this for supper yesterday and it's almost gone already! The cheese doesn't taste weird in it at all. I did leave out the pecans, though. I forgot to put that I made this for the Cookbook Tag game.
- 1 (19 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- boiling water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 8 ounces American cheese, grated
- 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice and adding to it enough boiling water to equal 1 1/2 cups.
- Pour over gelatin and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and allow to cool.
- When cool, add drained pineapple, grated cheese and nuts.
- Let chill until it begins to congeal.
- Whip heavy cream until peaks form; fold into gelatin mixture.
- Pour into 9"x13" serving dish and chill until set.
- Keep refrigerated.
- NOTE: Cooking time refers to chilling time.