Recipe by Lalaloula
This is a yummy, summery vegan dessert, that not only tastes good, but is also very healthy. If youre not a vegan, feel free to use regular cream cheese and if not concerned about sugar intake, just use regular sugar. Also, I dont like my fruit sauces to be too sweet, so feel free to use more sugar than I have listed below. I imagine this would also be yummy with different sorts of fruits, e.g. cherries or peaches.
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lb rhubarb, cleaned and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute (can use more, if rhubarb is very tart)
- 150 g vegan cream cheese (if not vegan, use regular)
Tofu Vanilla Layer
- 200 g tofu, chopped coarsely (I used a firm one)
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon carob powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For your rhubarb layer first combine the potato starch and 1 tbs of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place chopped rhubarb, 1/4 cup water, applesauce, almond extract and sugar in a medium saucepan. Heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer until rhubarb is tender and pieces start to break up. Depending on how chunky or smooth you prefer your fruit sauce, keep on cooking for another few minutes.
- When sauce has reached desired consistency, stir in the prepared starch and water mixture. Stir until thickened and remove from heat. Allow to cool. Then stir in cream cheese.
- To make your tofu layer place all of the ingredients listed in your blender and blend until smooth. I use a hand-held blender for this. Depending on how firm your tofu is, you might need to add a little more applesauce to get it to the right consistency.
- To assemble your dessert, place about 2 tbs of the tofu cream each in two parfait glasses, top with half of the rhubarb sauce and top with remaining tofu cream. Sprinkle some carob powder on top if you like.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat. Enjoy! :).