Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Southern Living. Requires an ice cream maker.
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the first 6 ingredients together until well blended.
- Pour mixture into the freezer container of a 4-quart ice cream maker; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Garnish each serving with fresh mint sprigs, thinly sliced lime wedges, or lime rind strips.
- Refreshing Lemon Sherbet: substitute lemon rind for lime rind and fresh lemon juice for the lime juice; proceed as directed; garnish with mint sprig, thinly sliced lemon wedges, or lemon rind strips.
This tastes wonderful, though with all the half and half in it, it might be more appropriate to call it lime ice cream, rather than sherbet. As an avid lover of limes, I even added more lime juice (reducing the water by about half), and was rewarded with over the top lime flavor. I also chilled the mixture over night with the lime zest in it, and there is no doubt that this is lime-flavored. If I make it for people not as mad about limes as myself, I might add a bit more sugar, if using more lime juice, and also add the lime zest after the mixture has been in the ice cream maker a while. I think this would make it a little tamer, but still refreshing. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.