1/1 Photo of Refreshing Lemon Barley Water
Lemon Barley water is an old fashioned British tonic that was given to the weak as an alternative source of nourishment. Now most people just drink it because they like it! Some recipes use sugar in their recipes however honey gives it a more intense flavor. If you have any fresh ginger handy, finely grate about 1 tablespoon of it and boil it with the barley for a gingery kick. Found on the internet. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the barley in a sieve and rinse under cold water until water runs clear.
- 2Place barley in a saucepan with lemon peel and 6 cups of water.
- 3Bring to the boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn down and simmer for 15-30 minutes then strain mixture into a heatproof bowl. Discard the barley.
- 4Add honey to bowl and stir to dissolve. Stir in lemon juice and then let mixture cool to room temperature.
- 5Pour into bottles and refrigerate until chilled.
Browse Our Top Non-Alcoholic Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Refreshing Lemon Barley Water
Serving Size: 1 (1838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 2.6 g