Lemon Barley water is an old fashioned British tonic that was given to the weak as an alternative source of nourishment. Now most people just drink it because they like it! Some recipes use sugar in their recipes however honey gives it a more intense flavor. If you have any fresh ginger handy, finely grate about 1 tablespoon of it and boil it with the barley for a gingery kick. Found on the internet. Enjoy!
- Place the barley in a sieve and rinse under cold water until water runs clear.
- Place barley in a saucepan with lemon peel and 6 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat. Once boiling, turn down and simmer for 15-30 minutes then strain mixture into a heatproof bowl. Discard the barley.
- Add honey to bowl and stir to dissolve. Stir in lemon juice and then let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Pour into bottles and refrigerate until chilled.
Wow, who knew, this is really nice!!!! And very easy! I didnt add the ginger, but for my personal taste I think I would really enjoy it, I like sour more than sweet. And I only had a little bit of honey left, DH would have preferred it sweeter, but for me, just right. this has been a super recipe for me to find, a really refreshing cold drink that suits my palate to a T, thank you Nif, this was made for ZWT 8, the British Pub Crawl Challenge.