Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
A cool summer salad that can help you use up those garden cucumbers. Best with homegrown tomatoes.
Make and share this Refreshing Cucumber and Tomato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, cut the long way and sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into large dice
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, if needed
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander and sprinkle with the 3/4 tsp salt; toss well.
- Place the colander over an empty bowl. put in refrigerator and allow the cucumbers to drain their liquid for about 40-45 minutes.
- After draining time, shake out any excess moisture from the cucumbers in the colander. Place them into a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, sugar, dill weed, pepper and cayenne pepper. Pour over the salad mixture and toss.
- Taste and add additional salt, if necessary.
- If desired, garnish with the crumbled feta cheese.
Very good salad. It was refreshing and healthy too. Definately plan to make more often! Thank you!
This is a lovely recipe. Thanks for posting it.
Tastes great! I had extra pickling cucumbers and no large ones, so I wasn't sure how close I was to the amount of sliced cucumbers.I don't think I used enough cucumbers of them as preparation time was getting long. I didn't use 1 tsp. of dill because I was almost out and I just used about 1/16 tsp. of cayenne, hoping my children would enjoy this dish. They didn't, but I sure did! thanks for the great way to use some of my plenteous cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden!