Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful fruit salad recipe that I made up a while back. I call it "refreshing" because it is still creamy but doesn't have a ton of sugar and marshmallow cream in it. The toasted coconut heightens the flavor while the untoasted gives a nice chewy texture to the whole thing. For an extra creamy salad, add 1/4 cup fruit yogurt.
- 2 large sweet apples, chunked
- 2 oranges, peeled and chunked
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple chunk (fresh or canned and drained)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (toasted)
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- Mix apples, oranges, pineapple, and banana in a large bowl. Add toasted* and untoasted coconut, along with coconut milk.
- To soften the cream cheese, zap it in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds. With a fork in a small bowl, cream the cheese with the sugar, add more if desired to taste.
- Dump the cream cheese on top of the fruit, and mix thoroughly to incorporate. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- * To toast the coconut, spread on an ungreased pan and bake in a 300 degree oven just till lightly brown, around 3-5 minutes.