I first had this at an Indonesian restaurant.I love this drink because it's simple & inexpensive to make. You can also choose to have it sugar free- which I sometimes do & it's still delicious! =) Plus you can freeze any extra & bring them outdooors for a refreshing cool down! Tip:Store drink with a straw in a plastic bottle. Freeze. REmove from freezer 1.5 - 2 hours before consumption (depending on the weather!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel avocados. Cut into halves. Remove pits. Cut each half into sixes.
- 2Blend avocado with milk till the bits of avocado are gone.
- 3I use a tiny food processor, so I split the avocado & milk into 4 portions & blend. Tiresome, but it's better than blending all the avocado at once & whisking it by hand in a big jug with the remaining milk---too tiring!
- 4Chill for at least 2 hours or pop in some ice cubes & let them bob for 5 minutes.
- 5Swirl 2 teaspoonfuls (as desired) of gula melaka or coconut sugar syrup into each glass.
- 6Drop in straws, stir & enjoy!
- 7To serve as dessert: USe a thicker consistency by not adding ice. Chill for several hours. Serve in cute glasses, swirl coconut sugar syrup on top.
- 8If gula melaka syrup is not readily available, get a chunk of gula melaka/coconut sugar & melt it over fire in some water to get the syrup.
- 9Note: Gula is a Malay word for Sugar. Melaka is actually Malacca, a place in Malaysia. Gula Melaka is dark coocnut sugar & its syrup is made from melting this sugar in water over a slow fire. What you get is a dark, fragrant, heavy syrup.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Refreshing Asian Avocado Drink
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.0
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 28.9 mg
- Sodium 107.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g