Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Very popular in the Caribbean and South America, this is drunk by young and old. Nutritious and inexpensive too. The sugar is found in Latin sections of the grocery store, or if you can't find it, use brown sugar instead. provides energy and fiber. Some of the benefits from oatmeal, it helps prevent constipation problems, helps keep good digestion, helps prevent colon cancer, reduces the risk of heart disease, and helps prevent obesity and diabetes. Wow! Recipe from Alton Brown on Good Eats.
- 1⁄2 cup piloncillo sugar, grated (or dark brown sugar)
- 1 quart warm water
- 2 ounces old fashioned oats, not instant (1/2 cup)
- 1 small lime, peeled, halved, and reserved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed (optional)
- Dissolve the sugar in the water in a large container.
- Steep the oatmeal, lime peel, and cardamom, if using, in the sugar water for 1-2 hours.
- Strain and serve over ice with a squeeze of lime juice.