Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A friend gave this recipe to me and said that her kids just love it! I made it and my son loved it as well. Of course, almost all dishes that taste like candy are hits with him. Preparation time does not include chilling time in refrigerator.
- 1 (3 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (cook and serve, 4-serving size. Do not use instant pudding)
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup reese's peanut butter chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream (optional) or Cool Whip Topping (optional)
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine pudding mix and 3 1/2 cups milk (use this 3 1/2 cups and not the amount listed on pudding package). Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and divide hot mixture between 2 heatproof medium bowls.
- Immediately stir peanut butter chips into mixture in one bowl and chocolate chips into mixture in second bowl. Stir both mixtures until chips are melted and mixtures are smooth. Cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- In parfait glasses, wine glasses or dessert dishes, alternately layer peanut butter and chocolate mixtures. (I find this easiest to do using a frosting decorators' bag because it's easy to get the mixtures into the parfait glasses without "smudging" the sides of the glass. This makes for neater-looking layers of the puddings.).
- Place plastic wrap directly onto surface of each dessert; refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.
This was good. The kids enjoyed it - but thought it was a little rich. DH and I finished ours off. :) Made for the Aussie/NZ September 2008 recipe swap.
My kids really enjoyed this dessert treat. I totally goofed though - when I read the ingredients I mis-read the peanut butter chips and used Reese's Peanut Butter Candies instead. So they did not melt into the cooked pudding for the one layer but it still tasted good. Next time I promise to use the correct chips! Did not matter to my kids though as they loved it! Tagged in Went to Market Game May 2008.