Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've had this recipe pasted in my recipe binder for many years now. It's originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle and is one of their most requested recipes. It's an easy pie to make, using canned pie-sliced apples, but what really makes this pie is the delicious cream cheese, coconut, and chopped walnut topping. I've always gotten compliments whenever I served this!
- 1 (9 inch) pre-baked pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (20 ounce) canof pie-sliced apples, well drained in a colander
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- For the pie:.
- Combine cornstarch and sugar in saucepan;stir in cream, mixing well.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Stir in butter and lemon juice.
- Add drained apples and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and pour into baked crust, filling shell three-fourths full.
- Make topping:.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and spoon over apple filling.
- Sprinkle coconut and walnuts over top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 15-20 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool before serving.
This is THE BEST pie ever. I made it over 20 years ago and lost the recipe until finding it again online. It is easy to prepare and is a marvelous blend of apple, lemon, cream cheese, coconut and nuts. It's a calorie and cholesterol bomb so should be saved for special events. Mary in San Francisco