Leslie in Texas's Note:
I've had this recipe pasted in my recipe binder for many years now. It's originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle and is one of their most requested recipes. It's an easy pie to make, using canned pie-sliced apples, but what really makes this pie is the delicious cream cheese, coconut, and chopped walnut topping. I've always gotten compliments whenever I served this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pre-baked pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or 1/4 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (20 ounce) can of pie-sliced apples, well drained in a colander
- 1For the pie:.
- 2Combine cornstarch and sugar in saucepan;stir in cream, mixing well.
- 3Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- 4Stir in butter and lemon juice.
- 5Add drained apples and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Cool and pour into baked crust, filling shell three-fourths full.
- 7Make topping:.
- 8Beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- 9Beat in egg and spoon over apple filling.
- 10Sprinkle coconut and walnuts over top.
- 11Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 15-20 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- 12Cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Redwood Room Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.6
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 245.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g