Recipe by chirospasm
My mom always made the best cheeseburger pie, and when I stopped eating red meat I always craved this recipe. Finally, I got adventurous and created my own Vegetarian Cheeseburger Pie! I use Boca Meatless Ground Burger, but I'm sure any soy artificial hamburger would work. Quick and easy! The ingredients listed also make the pie reduced fat.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This recipe was easy to make and is relatively low fat (and of course vegetarian, which is good too), but it was a bit too bland. I never had cheeseburger pie before so I couldn't compare it to the "real" kind. I did saute and use onions instead of onion powder as well as garlic, salt and pepper. To jazz it up even more I served it with hot sauce. Also I recommend letting it cool for 5 minutes or so because when I tried to serve it right out of the oven it crumbled. It held together much better after it sat a while. My feeling is that kids might really like this recipe, but I will still probably try making this again with some additional ingredients, including perhaps tomato sauce and some herbs. Thanks!
- 2 cups vegetarian ground beef (equivalent to 1 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie shell, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Set frozen pie crust on counter to thaw.
- Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat frozen imitation burger in skillet with onion powder until heated through.
- Add flour and Worcestershire sauce, stirring until evenly coated.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, fold cottage cheese into egg substitute.
- Layer into pie crust: 1/3 cheddar cheese, 1/2 of meat mixture, 1/2 of egg mixture, 1/3 cheddar cheese, 1/2 of meat mixture, 1/2 of egg mixture, remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is set.