Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my adaptation of favorite recipe from the Cook's Book of the Seaward Inn, in Rockport, MA. The added bonus is that it is easy to prepare. Enjoy!
- 2 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef (93%)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, seed
- Pam cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 cup light cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine beaten egg and milk. Add bread and allow to soak and absorb liquids. Add onion, sugar, alspice, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cardamon seed.
- Mix well and shape into 1" balls.
- Place meatballs on a foil-covered baking sheet, sprayed with PAM,
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until brown.
- In the meantime, prepare Sauce:.
- In large oven-proof pan, pour can of condensed beef consomme.
- Add water to consomme can and pour into a lidded jar, adding 3 Tbsp Cornstarch. Shake well to combine.
- Pour into pan that contains consomme and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When consomme mixture has thickened, remove from heat and add light cream and dill. Mix well.
- Add cooked meatballs to sauce, and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with cooked noodles.