Recipe by carole in orlando
We love Alfredo Sauce and also have to watch the fat content. Smart Balance Margarine makes a spread with 67% vegetable oil that you can use in cooking and that's what I used.
Top Review by Sage
What a special treat this was.We love Alfredo anything. Great to find this low fat recipe to enjoy. I bought frozen cooked shrimps from Costo and with this recipe they tasted fresh. I will make this one again and again; thank you for sharing. It goes in my Best Zarr Our Favourites. Rita
- 2 tablespoons low-fat margarine (like Smart Balance for cooking)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups carnation low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 20 -36 frozen pre-cooked shrimp, 5 per person
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a Bechamel Sauce by melting the margarine in a pan, adding the flour and making a smooth mixture.
- Slowly add the milk and stir constantly with a whisk until well blended and of the thickness you desire.
- Add as much Parmesan cheese as you like, we thought 3/4 Cup was enough and let it melt and blend with the Bechamel Sauce.
- Defrost the shrimp in cold water, remove the tail if necessary, and add to the Alfredo Sauce until heated.
- Do not over cook as the shrimp with toughen.
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package, mix the pasta and Alfredo Sauce and serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.