Recipe by Lori Mama
There are a myriad of ways to make scalloped potatoes, but I thought this was just a bit different. Taken from Cooks Country, with a slight adjustment.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Simply a great dish, we loved the flavors, and went well with some beef ribs, and cream of potato soup. I liked the unique way this recipe went, and the kids really enjoyed this too. Made for Holiday Tag.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray 8" baking dish with non stick spray.
- Coarsely chop 15 slices of potato and microwave 2 minutes or until tender.
- Mash with 3 tbsp of the.milk and set aside.
- Over medium heat, in medium sauce pan, melt butter.
- Saute onion until softened.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- In bowl whisk together the remaining milk, broth, mashed potatoes, cornstarch/flour/salt/pepper.
- Add to onion mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Off the heat add the cheeses until melted and smooth.
- Layer half the potatoes in baking dish, pour half the sauce over.
- Sprinkle with Panko crumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake on baking sheet for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking another 30 minutes or until tender.
- Cool 10 minutes.