Recipe by mortar&pestle
I made this recipe up after spending ages looking for a less fattening version of Pommes Anna. I used everyday Desiree potatoes - I think any type of potato would work. You can also omit the cheese or change to a hard cheese like Parmesan. I also have added garlic salt instead of regular on some occasions. The potatoes need slicing down to about 1-2mm thick to make this the best.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200'C.
- Wash potatoes, but don't peel, and slice very thin (best done using a mandolin) Pat the potatoes dry using paper towel.
- Line a 20cm cake tin, pie dish or any similar sized dish with baking paper.
- Place potatoes from the outside in, overlapping slightly to cover the base of the dish, brush with butter and season to taste.
- Repeat step 3 until half the potatoes are used.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over at this time.
- Repeat step 3 again until all the potatoes are used up, ending with butter.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Wrap in foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes until crispy and browned on top and edges.
- Remove from the oven and flip onto a serving plate, remove the baking paper and cut into wedges for serving.