Top Review by justcallmetoni
These were just delicious and satisfying. Pecan pie or squares are something I rarely enjoy (too many points) but with these I got to satisfy my sweet tooth and not feel guilty. The cookie crust is nice and tender (better than most in low fat bars) and the top is a little gooey with that nice crunchy top. Yummmmmmm. I made these as directed with one small addition - toasting the oats and nuts for about 5 minutes before making the topping. This brings out the the nuttiness of both just a bit. Thanks.
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup dried oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven 350F lightly grease bottom and sides of 13X9 pan.
- In large bowl, mix granulated sugar, butter, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir in flour; mix well.
- Press dough in bottom and 1/2” up sides of pan.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- For filling: In a small bowl, sprinkle powdered milk over egg whites, then beat them with fork until smooth. Add food color, and beat until blended.
- Beat brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, the salt, egg and egg white mixture with a spoon.
- Stir in pecans and oats.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until set.
- Loosen edges from sides of pan while warm; cool completely.