Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Most recipes for reduced-fat macaroni and cheese fall short on taste and texture. This recipe tastes delicious, but isn't nearly as rich. Instead of using whole milk and heavy cream in this recipe, it uses skim milk thickened with a roux. Low-fat cheddar cheese and Parmesan add a complex flavor to the macaroni and cheese without the added fat. Part-skim ricotta cheese adds a creamy texture to this reduced-fat version. By making these substitutions, the calories and fat are cut by more than half. Serves 4 as a main dish, or 6-8 as a side dish. From Cook's Country. http://bit.ly/13oaie8
Bread Crumb Topping
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Toss bread crumbs with butter in small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In food processor or blender, process cheddar, Parmesan, and ricotta until no large pieces of cheese remain, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Bring 4 quarts water and 1 tbsp table salt (not in ingredient list) to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add macaroni and cook until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain macaroni and leave in colander.
- In now-empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour and mustard and cook, whisking to combine ingredients, until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, slowly add milk and Tabasco, if using, and bring to full boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking frequently, until mixture becomes slightly thicker than heavy cream, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in cheese mixture and 1/2 teaspoon salt until cheese is melted. Add pasta and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat, until mixture is steaming, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to broiler-safe 8-inch-square baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes, rotating pan if necessary for even browning. Cool 2 minutes. Serve.