Recipe by Izzy The Terrible
This recipe is lower in fat than many, but better than any tuna noodle casserole I've tasted. Even my husband (that hates tuna) loved it! I typically use fresh Parmesean cheese, but for this one, I only had prepackaged grated cheese on hand. It turned out great!
Top Review by cookee monster
I haven't had tuna noodle casserole in 30 years. My mom finally stopped making it because we just wouldn't eat it. I saw this and decided that it was time to be a big girl and try it again. I made half a recipe because I wasn't sure how it would go over with my family. I used albacore tuna and I used 4 one cup ramekins to serve it in. I figured that maybe I could dazzle with presentation. DH and I enjoyed it very much. The kids don't like their food touching so I had little hope for them. Unfortunately I ran out of time and my toaster oven just didn't want to broil the tops. No matter, it was still good. I really think this would be good without tuna and or vegetables or good with chicken and broccoli. I plan on making this again in different ways. Made for Spring PAC 2011.
- 226.79 g wide egg noodles
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 29.58 ml flour
- 650.62 ml nonfat milk
- 118.29 ml cream cheese, softened - 1/3-less-fat
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground pepper
- 354.88 ml frozen peas
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 2 (283.49 g) can tuna in water, drained and flaked
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- 2. Cook noodles. Omit salt. Drain. Return pot to medium heat. Add butter. Add onion and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with flour, until a paste forms. Gradually stir in milk, cook 5 minutes (or until slightly thickened), stirring with a wisk. Stir in cream cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in noodles, peas, 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and tuna. Spoon mixture into a shallow, 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Broil 3 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes prior to serving.