Recipe by Cathleen Colbert
I found this recipe here but changed to nonfat milk. Since reduced fat margarines don't make that big a difference in fat content and butter is so important for flavor, I left the butter as is. This is an experimental work for me. The original author did not specify the size of the pan, so I'm guessing a 13x9 for small cubes of caramel.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, syrup and 1 cup milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 246-248 degrees on a candy thermometer or makes a firm ball when a dropped into cool water.
- Slowly add second cup of milk and continue to cook to firm ball stage.
- Slowly add third cup of milk, butter and salt.
- Cook to firm ball stage and remove from heat.
- Immediately pour into buttered pan.
- Let cool completely before cutting to pieces with a sharp, wet knife.