Recipe by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
So delicious. Smooth and creamy. Its crust is so unique yet works beautifully with the flavors. And its light, to boot! Add more whipped topping if you prefer, or use Cool Whip Free (though you will get less flavor). Chill time is not included.
- 1 1⁄4 cups gingersnap crumbs (about 25 cookies, very finely crushed in a food processor or blender)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons margarine, melted (not light margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract (banana flavour)
- 2 cups sliced ripe bananas
- 1 cup Cool Whip Lite, thawed if frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Add 1 tablespoon of egg white (discard remaining egg white) and 1 tablespoons melted margarine (I usually add a tiny bit more); toss with a fork until moistened. Press into bottom and 3/4 up sides of a 10-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325°F for 17 minutes; let cool on a wire rack.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg in a large bowl; stir well with a wire whisk, and set aside.
- Heat milk over medium-high heat in a medium heavy saucepan to 180°F or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).
- Remove from heat. Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Return milk mixture to pan. Add 1 tablespoon margarine, and cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly until it has reached a thick custard consistency.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and banana flavour.
- Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 25 minutes or until egg mixture cools to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from ice. Fold in the sliced ripe banana until evenly dispersed, and spoon mixture into prepared crust. Spread whipped topping evenly over filling. Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.
- Served garnished with additional bananas and sprinkled cinnamon.