Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I usually make the full fat version but we as a family are trying to watch what we eat. So I took my usual version and made some changes. It turned out pretty well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs squash or 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shreds
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 15 low-fat Ritz crackers
- salt and pepper
- Split squash and zucchini length wise then cut in to 1/2 inch pieces.
- Chop onion medium dice.
- Put all three items in pan cover with water and cook till fork tender.
- Drain all vegetables put casserole dish.
- Crush crackers into crumbs and add to vegetables.
- Mix all other ingredients into the casserole dish with the vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle 2 extra crackers crumbled on top.
- Cover and bake at 325 for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes then serve.