Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Healthy substitutions make a good recipe good for you, using low fat milk, tomato sauce and splenda to reduce the calories while keeping the flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- Combine Meatloaf ingredients except for the milk in a large bowl. Add the milk slowly, mixing after each addition. You want the loaf plump, but not watery so stop adding milk when you get it to the correct consistency. Place in a loaf pan, flattening the top.
- Combine the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the Sauce over the meatloaf in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1 1/4 hour until done.
- You can make a second batch of the Sauce to heat and serve with the meatloaf, if desired.