Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe out of The New Dieter's Cookbook. It is chock full of lo-cal versions of our favorite classics. My family loved this dish and we didn't miss the calories at all!
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 9 packaged dried lasagna noodles
- 1 (12 ounce) carton low fat cottage cheese, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, brown beef with garlic and onion. Drain fat. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, fennel seed, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to simmering. Cover and continue to simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- For filling, combine 1 cup of the mozzarella, parmesan, egg, parsley, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Layer one third of the cooked noodles in a 2 quart rectangular casserole dish, trimming ends to fit if necessary. Spread with half of the filling. Top with one third of meat sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and meat sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered in a 375°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.