Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This banana bread is good & moist, lower in calories and fat. The recipe comes from Ladies Home Journal with rave reviews. Good with nutmeg, added with the cinnamon. I made this using Splenda for Baking,1/3 cup, was plenty sweet.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 cup banana, ripe, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder,baking soda, cinnamon, and salt,set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together egg whites, banana, sugar, and oil; Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until JUST moistened.
- Spray a 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray; Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near middle comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool throughly on a wire rack; for eaiser slicing, wrap the bread in plastic wrap and store overnight.
- Make ahead directions; cool completely, wrap in release foil, then seal in a plastic bag, freeze for up to 3 months.
Omg I loved this 5star rating for me
Great recipe. I actually found it on bhg.com and was going to type it up here when I found this. I substituted sugar with the same amount of brown sugar (no health benefits, just what I had) and it added a nice, caramel-y dimension to the recipe. I also sprinkled the top with chopped walnuts before baking. Came out fantastic! Thanks for adding this recipe.
Used the 3/4 cup of splenda and it almost glued my teeth together, I also subsituted the oil with the apple sauce. I should have taken Barb's advise and just use 1/4 cup of splenda. Will try the next time. I liked the texture of it, didnt have no cinnamon and will certainly try that next time too.