Recipe by DancingPanda
Found this while looking for food ideas to cheer on the the Washington Redskins!! This is a very good chili - didn't use the hot sauce to make it more kid friendly and it was perfect!
Top Review by Mrs. Regan
I can't believe I never rated this! My husband is a Redskins fan so I had to try making it just because of the name. I ended up making it several times this past winter. Perfect amount of heat for a cold day. The italian sausage makes it DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 links Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 dark beer
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- 1 (8 ounce) jarsliced jalapenos, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- The Night Before:.
- Start out by removing the skin from the Italian sausage.
- In a large skillet, begin to brown the sausage and ground beef.
- Drain the meats once browned. Remove from skillet and place in a large pot.
- In the skillet, brown the onion, pepper and mushrooms. Add garlic for the last two minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the large pot.
- Add whole tomatoes and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Be sure to break the tomatoes up well.
- Stir in chili powder, oregano, parsley, and the hot sauce. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight after cooling.
- Light the burner and sit the pot of goodness over the heat.
- Add the kidney beans in and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and begin to simmer the chili.
- Now add the tomato paste and the dark beer. I use Newcastle, but Guinness, and Becks dark are both great in this recipe as well.
- Simmer uncovered until the mixture reduces to desired thickness. If it stays uncovered for an extended period of time and thickens too much just add a little more beer to loosen things back up a bit.
- Scoop into bowls and top with a few of the jalapeno slices and a sprinkle or two of cheddar.