Redsie kindly let me change her scrumptious Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes around to be low cal, low carb, low fat, good for diabetics while still moist, delicious and bursting with flavor. I added 1 cup of cranberries to make up the volume that i lose by substituting splenda but you can leave it out.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or 25% reduced-fat butter, melted and cooled)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (or 1 egg)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt, plain
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F and use muffin pan, lined with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, applesauce and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest and juice and lemon extract, beating until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Fold in cranberries.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Top cooled cupcakes with your favorite icing.