Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love a good meatloaf. What Redneck doesn't? The key to a good meatloaf, though is to get the right seasonings, the quality of the meat, and the right binding. Some put vegetables like carrots or other stuff in their meatloaf to trick their kids into eating healthier. A Redneck kid can sniff a veggie out from forty paces and will refuse to eat it. This does not apply to the mixed peas and mashed potatoes thing. This is a favorite recipe of mine. Haven't got a clue where it came from, nor does it matter. It satisfies this Redneck's palate. Give it a try.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (I usually use home-canned)
- 2 lbs ground beef (the best quality on sale is what I use!)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup onion (if you like it, use more)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped VERY FINE
- 1 cup saltine crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup A.1. Original Sauce, plus
- 3 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce (I use the Walmart knock-off, for the sauce, but I never measure, just glug it in)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
- 1 dash salt, if desired
- Slip your hands into plastic sandwich bags. This will make clean-up sooo much easier!
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, crumbled and mushed up well, the chopped onion, green pepper, saltine crumbs, 1/3 cup steak sauce, eggs, pepper, salt, and half the can of tomato sauce.
- Mush this all together (this is where I take out my aggressions). Place in a loaf pan lined with the new release foil. This stuff will save you more time on clean-up. While meatloaf bakes, stir together remaining tomato sauce and steak sauce.
- Another tip: If you would rather, pat these out into mini-loaves. If you use a 9x13 pan, you could probably get 4-5 loaves, depending on how big you make them. Kids love their own meatloaf on their plate.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes (if making one loaf, less is mini-loaves). Pour off the grease. Coat top with sauce. Bake 10 more minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes to cool down.
This was very good. I did use 1.5 cups of dried bread crumbs for the crushed crackers and I used the garlic A-1 Sauce. Very good, will make again.
This gets high marks from me! I am usually pretty jaded when it comes to other meatloaf than my own. This is nicely moist and tender. I think the saltine crumbs are just right and if I wanted to firm it up I would add more meat or perhaps another hidden veggie. Excellent recipe from someone who was obviously an excellent cook. I recommend this meat loaf to anyone!!!
This was good. I am really picky about meatloaf, but liked this one. Might add a few more saltine crumbs next time, as it was almost too moist. Loved the steak/tomato sauce combo!!