I find this recipe a nice way to spruce up your basic sugar cookie recipe. The jelly is optional, but it gives these cookies a nice tangy kick. These can also be made vegan by substituting vegetable spread for the butter and 3 tbsp applesauce for the egg.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 22. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar cookie mix, almond slivers, and spices.
- 33. Add the egg, red wine, and butter. Mix well.
- 44. If you would like more of a sugar cookie texture to your cookies, reduce the amount of butter and red wine. If you would like more a scone-like texture, add the full amount of wine and butter, then slowly mix in the flour 1/4 cup at a time. The final texture of the dough should be very sticky but not gooey. If you place a ball of it on the cookie sheet, it should hold its shape.
- 55. Place balls of dough at least 1 1/2 inches in diameter on a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies are a light golden brown.
- 66. Remove cookies from the oven. Use your thumb to make an indent in the middle of each cookie.
- 77. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack. Spoon about 1 tsp of red currant jelly into the center of each cookie. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Spice Cookies With Almonds and Red Currant Jelly
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1536.8
- Calories from Fat 718
- Total Fat 79.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 308.0 mg
- Sodium 532.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 89.2 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar cookie mix