1/2 Photos of Red-Wine Spaghetti With Broccoli Rabe
I saw this prepared on Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello on the food network. It looked so interesting that I wanted to post it for future reference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs broccoli rabe, thick stems discarded
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (preferably Zinfandel)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Cut broccoli rabe into 1-inch wide florets. Blanch in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, 2 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to a large colander to drain, reserving broccoli-cooking liquid in pot, then transfer broccoli to a bowl.
- 2Return cooking liquid to a boil and cook spaghetti, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes (pasta will not be fully cooked). Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain pasta in colander and return empty pot to stovetop.
- 3Add wine and sugar to pot and boil vigorously 2 minutes until liquid is reduced a bit.
- 4Add spaghetti and shake pot to prevent pasta from sticking. Gently stir with tongs until coated and boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes (pasta will be al dente).
- 5Immediately after adding spaghetti to wine mixture, cook garlic and red pepper flakes in the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over moderately low heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until garlic is pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add broccoli rabe, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water.
- 7Pour broccoli rabe into skillet with the spaghetti mixture and carefully toss with tongs to combine (skillet will be very full).
- 8Cook while stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, season with freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- 9Stir in the grated cheese. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red-Wine Spaghetti With Broccoli Rabe
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 833.1
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 685.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 25.3 g