Recipe by KelBel
I saw this prepared on Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello on the food network. It looked so interesting that I wanted to post it for future reference.
Top Review by racceber
Good taste but some of the instructions are a little unclear. The biggest issue I had is the portioning. The recipe serves more like 8 -10 and changing the serving size to 1 will produce enough for 2 generous main courses or 4 - 6 starters. Nevertheless, this is an interesting recipe; I'd recommend it for the first course at a dinner party.
- 1 3⁄4 lbs broccoli rabe, thick stems discarded
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine (preferably Zinfandel)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut broccoli rabe into 1-inch wide florets. Blanch in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, 2 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to a large colander to drain, reserving broccoli-cooking liquid in pot, then transfer broccoli to a bowl.
- Return cooking liquid to a boil and cook spaghetti, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes (pasta will not be fully cooked). Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain pasta in colander and return empty pot to stovetop.
- Add wine and sugar to pot and boil vigorously 2 minutes until liquid is reduced a bit.
- Add spaghetti and shake pot to prevent pasta from sticking. Gently stir with tongs until coated and boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes (pasta will be al dente).
- Immediately after adding spaghetti to wine mixture, cook garlic and red pepper flakes in the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over moderately low heat, shaking skillet occasionally, until garlic is pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli rabe, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water.
- Pour broccoli rabe into skillet with the spaghetti mixture and carefully toss with tongs to combine (skillet will be very full).
- Cook while stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, season with freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Stir in the grated cheese. Serve immediately.