Recipe by CountryLady
Open a bottle of Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon, reserve one cup for cooking, enjoy the rest with your S.O. or your dinner guests!!! This spectacular sauce can be made in advance & reheated to serve with roast beef or a steak!!!
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushroom (I used morels)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak mushrooms in water for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat; add onions, carrots & celery and saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic & saute for another minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, parsley stalks, mushrooms & their soaking liquid; bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes or until strongly flavoured & slightly thickened; strain sauce, pressing down on solids to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Discard solids & reserve liquid.
- Place red wine & balsamic vinegar into pot; bring to a boil and boil until reduced by half.
- When ready to serve, add reserved liquid to the wine/vinegar mixture and bring to a boil; stirring constantly, boil until the sauce is thickened & rich tasting, about 5 minutes.