1 hr 10 mins
Open a bottle of Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon, reserve one cup for cooking, enjoy the rest with your S.O. or your dinner guests!!! This spectacular sauce can be made in advance & reheated to serve with roast beef or a steak!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried mushroom (I used morels)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1Soak mushrooms in water for 20 minutes or until soft.
- 2Heat oil in a pot over medium heat; add onions, carrots & celery and saute for about 7 minutes.
- 3Add garlic & saute for another minute.
- 4Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- 5Add the stock, tomato paste, thyme, bay leaf, parsley stalks, mushrooms & their soaking liquid; bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- 6Reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes or until strongly flavoured & slightly thickened; strain sauce, pressing down on solids to remove as much liquid as possible.
- 7Discard solids & reserve liquid.
- 8Place red wine & balsamic vinegar into pot; bring to a boil and boil until reduced by half.
- 9When ready to serve, add reserved liquid to the wine/vinegar mixture and bring to a boil; stirring constantly, boil until the sauce is thickened & rich tasting, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Sauce for Beef
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 429.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: