Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Bold flavor, creamy texture, filling. Block cheese is preferred, but pre-shredded will work. Fresh parmesan may be substituted for pecorino. Do NOT use the stuff that comes in a cardboard or plastic shaker! Adapted from The Essential Rice Cookbook published by Borders Group Inc., 2005.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 lb button mushroom
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, chop onion, garlic and mushrooms and shred cheese.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan.
- Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until onion is soft and opaque.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add rice and thyme, stir until rice is coated in butter.
- Add 1/2 cup of red wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until it is absorbed.
- Repeat the previous two steps.
- Continue adding chicken broth 1/2 cup at a time until all broth is used.
- Stir in half the cheese, top with the remaining cheese.
- If you want some meat, serve with chicken, lamb, or pork pan-fried in a very thin layer of red wine.