Recipe by JenniferK2
This recipe comes from my step-grandmother - the meat comes out very tender with a rich and flavorful gravy.
Top Review by Jessievs
This is one of our favorites, now. I make it at least once a month, and when I tell my husband what's for dinner, he gets very happy when he hears that it's this. I generally brown the roast in butter, use honey instead of sugar and omit the mushrooms. I also alternate the vegetables depending on what we are in the mood for. My favorite is to put the roast in a pan and then heap fingerling potatoes and root vegetables on top until the roast is completely covered. It turns out just beautifully, and it always a hit. I have printed this recipe out for friends looking for new and interesting dinners to try. Thanks JenniferK2!
- 3 lbs pork roast
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown pork on all side in bacon fat. Place pork in narrow casserole dish.
- Using skillet pork was browned in, heat remaining ingredients except mushrooms.
- Pour over pork roast.
- Bake at 325° 1 1/2 hours, adding mushrooms to casserole dish the last half hour.