Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Food Network. Prep and cooking time just a guess.
- 6 firm bartlett pears
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- 1 vanilla bean, whole
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipped cream
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel pears and leave stem intact. In a large pan, bring wine and an equal amount of cold water to a simmer. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and add to wine & water. Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and sugar, to taste. Add pears to liquid and simmer for about 20 min or until tender. Cool pears in wine mixture to room temperature. Refrigerate in poaching liquid (overnight).
- Remove pears from poaching liquid. Remove stems from pears and set stems aside. Core pears with apple corer, leaving pear whole.
- Whisk together mascarpone cheese, whip cream, pinch cinnamon and icing sugar until smooth. Transfer to piping bag. Pipe into cored pears and finish by putting stems into filling at top of pear. Refrigerate.
- Bring sauce to simmer and reduce by half. Add butter to reduced sauce and stir until combined. Spoon generously over pears. Cool to room temperature before serving.