Recipe by KathyP53
Wonderful steak sauce.
Top Review by Beth A.
My husband has been asking for a mushroom sauce for steaks, and this is it! The only change I made was to add 2 cloves of garlic (gotta love the garlic!). Served over steaks off the grill and basmati rice, to get every drop of the sauce. :) This is going in my permanent file.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin (about 3 cups)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 1 1/2 tbsp.)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown and liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add red wine and broth.
- SImmer rapidly until liquid and mushrooms are reduced to 1 cup, about 6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and mustard; cook until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, whisk in butter and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.