Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My mother-in-law made this all the time and passed on the recipe to me. The wine gives it a wonderful flavour. It is nice served with rice or pasta.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup cream (18%) or 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can beef bouillon or 1 can consomme
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup red table wine
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, cornstarch and allspice, tossing lightly with a fork until blended.
- Beat egg slightly, add cream and salt and blend.
- Add to meat mixture and mix lightly.
- Shape into 1 1/2" balls.
- Heat oil in skillet, add meat balls and brown on all sides.
- Remove meatballs and reserve.
- Add flour to drippings in skillet and blend.
- Add consumme, water, pepper and wine.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add meatballs, cover skillet and simmer 20 minutes.
I usually deglaze my pan with a little red wine when I make my meatballs. This takes the idea a step farther. I loved it. Last night was a spir of the moment meal. I used buffalo meat and made my meatballs my own usual way(no onion, cornstarch or allspice and used my homemade seasond breadcrumbs. I also added the wine first to the hot pan and blended the flour with the beef stock (also homemade). Wonderful comfort food. Would be good with mashed potatoes too.