Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe uses sweet and hot peppers to give a tingly hot taste. Red wine vinegar gives it a depth of flavor not found in other recipes I've tried. I use whichever color sweet peppers are ripe in my garden. It's very pretty to use several different colors. Choose hot peppers for the heat level you desire. Jalapenos are fairly mild and habeneros are dangerously hot! Feel free to swap out some of the sweet peppers for hot, just keep the total quantity of peppers to 1 3/4 cups. This makes a pretty gift.
- Prepare canning equipment.
- Combine peppers, vinegar and sugar in a medium saucepan. Don't use aluminum.
- Bring to a full, rolling boil (one you can't stir down) over high heat while stirring constantly and boil 1 minute.
- Add pectin all at once; return to a full boil for 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle hot into hot sterilized jars.
- Wipe rims, add lids and rings; tighten until resistance is met.
- Process in hot water bath 5 minutes for half pint jars; 7 minutes for pint jars.
- Remove without tilting to heatproof surface.
- Cover loosely with a towel.
- Allow to cool completely without disturbing.
- Check seals, label and store in cool place away from light.