Recipe by English_Rose
This richly flavoured red onion and wine gravy is excellent with home-made bangers and mash
Top Review by jimjamsmum
this is divine, i added sausages, carrots, and mushrooms and turned it into sausage casserole, all my kids really enjoyed it, will definitely be a regular in the colder months
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 2⁄3 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter has melted add the onions and garlic. Gently fry for at least 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onions are very soft.
- Stir in the flour, mixing thoroughly.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the wine, continuing to stir.
- Add the herbs and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring now and again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.