Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Yes, another roast recipe, but SO VERY GOOD!!! TRY IT!
Make and share this Red Wine Crock Pot Roast recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups red wine (or more! It's good for you!)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 4 lbs trimmed beef roast
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Place roast in crock pot and season with pepper.
- Mix rest of ingredients together and pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast to rest on platter.
- Turn crock pot to high.
- Whisk cornstarch into juices to thicken.
- This makes a wonderfully tasty au jus, or over mashed potatoes.
- You can easily make additions to this: garlic, pearl onions, mushrooms etc.
This was outstanding. The beef was tender and the gravy was delicious. Next time, I will let out the rosemary for it did give a stronger flavor to the beef. Served it with mashed potatoes and butter glazed carrots. I didn't add the water because the 2 cups of wine was plenty. With crockpot cooking, you don't need as much liquid.
This was sooo good. I used white wine instead of red wine. Since this was my first cooking with wine experience, I used 1 cup of wine to 1 cup of water. I had about 1-1/2 pounds of beef...2 at the very most. At the last 45 minutes or so I added 2 medium sized red potatoes that I had cut into quarters. The juices picked up a little bit of the potato taste. I think next time I make this I will use red wine and cook the potatoes separately. I liked the flavor of the juices before I added the potatoes a bit better. When I do the recipe again, I will review it again to let you know how it turns out. Thanks Rebekah!
Outstanding! My 3 lb roast was still somewhat frozen so cooked on high and was ready in just over 3 hours.