Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 hrs 12 mins
I love roast cooked in red wine as it adds such a rich flavor to the meat. This is perfect when the weather starts getting cool and you want something easy and comforting.
- new potato, quartered, enough to cover the bottom of your crock pot
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 1 medium-large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 lbs bottom round steaks or 4 lbs rump roast
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 (8 ounce) packagebaby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- cold water
- Layer potatoes, carrots, and onions at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add garlic and sprinkle thyme and rosemary to cover the vegetables.
- Salt and pepper the roast, then sear all over to seal in moisture.
- Place roast over vegetables, and pour in wine and beef stock.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or until meat is tender, turning the meat half way through.
- Dissolve flour by shaking in a jar with just enough cold water to dissolve it completely.
- Remove the meat to a plate and pour dissolved flour into the crock pot along with mushrooms. Stir and let cook for 10 minutes or until gravy achieves a good consistency.
- Slice roast and replace to crock pot to keep warm for serving.