Recipe by Coraniaid
Entered here for nutritional information: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/09/red-wine-chocolate-cake/ 17 tablespoons = 1 cup + 1 tablespoon or 133 grams
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (85 grams)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed (179 grams)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup red wine, any kind you like* (177 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 17 tablespoons all-purpose flour (133 grams)
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (41 grams)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream, chilled (118 grams)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (25 grams)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment, and either butter and lightly flour the parchment and exposed sides of the pan, or spray the interior with a nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and yolk and beat well, then the red wine and vanilla. Don’t worry if the batter looks a little uneven.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together, right over your wet ingredients.
- Mix until 3/4 combined, then fold the rest together with a rubber spatula.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- The top of the cake should be shiny and smooth, like a puddle of chocolate.
- Cool in pan on a rack for about 10 minutes, then flip out of pan and cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
- This cake keeps well at room temperature or in the fridge. It looks pretty dusted with powdered sugar.
- Whip mascarpone, cream, sugar and vanilla together until soft peaks form — don’t overwhip.
- Dollop generously on each slice of cake.
- It can also be covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.