Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I created this recipe when I owned a small cafe in SLO, CA. It is simple and rich and everyone told me it was good, so I believed them and have been making it ever since.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped small white onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch-style pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- Saute onions and bell peppers in olive oil until tender.
- Add ground beef and brown slowly over low heat, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook until ground beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Add chili seasonings, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, both beans and red wine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours taste and add salt and pepper. Then add sugar to round out flavor.
- Best served with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.
This chili is delicious! Part of my job is presenting wines in differ dishes. I made one of the chilis with a Chambourcin (Midwest dry red wine) and another chili with a Norton (Midwest dry red wine). Both were excellent!!! The chili with the Chambourcin was a little sweeter and the chili made with the Norton was a little more "full-bodied"