3 hrs 30 mins
Chef Karen B.'s Note:
I created this recipe when I owned a small cafe in SLO, CA. It is simple and rich and everyone told me it was good, so I believed them and have been making it ever since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped small white onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can ranch-style pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1Saute onions and bell peppers in olive oil until tender.
- 2Add ground beef and brown slowly over low heat, stirring often.
- 3Add garlic and cook until ground beef is thoroughly cooked.
- 4Add chili seasonings, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, both beans and red wine.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- 6After 3 hours taste and add salt and pepper. Then add sugar to round out flavor.
- 7Best served with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Chili
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.0
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 351.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 26.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chili seasoning mix
ranch-style pinto beans