Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This goes well with my Top of the Line Garlic Mashed Potatoes or over noodles.
- 4 lbs center cut beef brisket, fat removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Start rolling the brisket by rolling the short side first; secure with string or skewers.
- Sprinkle pepper all over brisket.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and brown on all sides. Don't over cook.
- Place in the bottom of crock pot, carrots, onion, leek (white and pale green parts only), and bay leaf.
- Add thyme and garlic.
- Place brisket on top of vegetables. Add wine over everything.
- Cover and cook on Low for 9 to 10 hours.
- Remove brisket after cooking and place on a platter and keep warm.
- Skim fat from liquid. Mix cornstarch into water and slowly pour into crockpot.
- Turn heat to High,cover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Stir 2 or 3 times during cooking.
- Remove string from brisket and slice across the grain.
- Spoon some of the sauce over brisket; saving the extra to be served at the table.