1/1 Photo of Red Wine Braised Short Rib
3 hrs 50 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Thyme Savours's Note:
One of the darlings of the culinary world is the short rib. When you think of a rib, most think of the pork rib, but the beef rib is larger, meatier and if cooked correctly is incredibly tender. It's preparations are endless, it can flavored with an Asian flair, a robust BBQ but this version is a take on the flavors reminiscent of a Grandma's pot roast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 3In small bowl, combine the garlic salt, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Blend well.
- 4Apply generously the spice rub ingredients you just prepared to both sides of the short ribs.
- 5In oven proof roasting pot, coat bottom of pan with olive oil and brown each side of the rib (approximately 3 minutes per side) on a medium heat cooktop.
- 6Remove ribs and set aside
- 7Add carrots, onions, garlic and rosemary to same pot that you just browned the ribs in and saute until translucent.
- 8Add red wine and 2 Cups of the beef broth and and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- 9Return ribs to roaster and cover.
- 10Place in oven and cook for 3 hours. Periodically check to ensure liquid is still present. If needed, add more beef broth and red wine.
- 11After 3 hours, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- 12Turn oven to 175 degrees and remove 1/2 cup of braising liquid from pan and degrease. An easy method of separating the grease is by adding ice cubes and the grease sticks to the ice cube. Just don't let the ice melt, remove the cubes as you go.
- 13In a small pot, on medium heat whisk braising liquid, 1/2 cup beef broth and contents of gravy mix until thickened.
- 14Serve short ribs and drizzle sauce to taste.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Braised Short Rib
Serving Size: 1 (684 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1482.4
- Calories from Fat 1157
- Total Fat 128.5 g
- Saturated Fat 55.9 g
- Cholesterol 267.5 mg
- Sodium 1310.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 55.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: