Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
One of the darlings of the culinary world is the short rib. When you think of a rib, most think of the pork rib, but the beef rib is larger, meatier and if cooked correctly is incredibly tender. It's preparations are endless, it can flavored with an Asian flair, a robust BBQ but this version is a take on the flavors reminiscent of a Grandma's pot roast.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In small bowl, combine the garlic salt, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Blend well.
- Apply generously the spice rub ingredients you just prepared to both sides of the short ribs.
- In oven proof roasting pot, coat bottom of pan with olive oil and brown each side of the rib (approximately 3 minutes per side) on a medium heat cooktop.
- Remove ribs and set aside
- Add carrots, onions, garlic and rosemary to same pot that you just browned the ribs in and saute until translucent.
- Add red wine and 2 Cups of the beef broth and and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Return ribs to roaster and cover.
- Place in oven and cook for 3 hours. Periodically check to ensure liquid is still present. If needed, add more beef broth and red wine.
- After 3 hours, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Turn oven to 175 degrees and remove 1/2 cup of braising liquid from pan and degrease. An easy method of separating the grease is by adding ice cubes and the grease sticks to the ice cube. Just don't let the ice melt, remove the cubes as you go.
- In a small pot, on medium heat whisk braising liquid, 1/2 cup beef broth and contents of gravy mix until thickened.
- Serve short ribs and drizzle sauce to taste.
This is one tasty dish. I followed the recipe word for word except My Short ribs had bones. It was easy to make but I had trouble with some of the instrutions. Making thia again soon..Bill