Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Give lamb shanks a lift with long, slow cooking and a generous amount of red wine!
Make and share this Red Wine Braised Lamb Shanks recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lamb shanks
- olive oil, for braising (to fill casserole about 1/2in deep)
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, broken up into cloves (unpeeled)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Take a casserole (or any oven-proof dish) and place on the stove top over a high heat, pour in the olive oil and when hot, add the lamb shanks, turning occasionally until brown.
- Once nicely browned, remove the lamb from the pot and tip in the chopped leek, celery, carrot, onion and garlic cloves. Stir them all together and add the bay leaf, thyme and rosemary. These ingredients will all add flavour to the dish but won't be served at the end.
- Once the vegetables are lightly browned, place the lamb back into the pot, allowing it to rest on top of the vegetables.
- Pour in the red wine and chicken stock, and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid or kitchen foil, and place in a 300F oven to braise for 2 hours 30 minutes or up to 5 hours depending on the amount of lamb you use. Serve the lamb shanks with the cooking juices poured over the top.