1/1 Photo of Red Wine Braised Beef Shanks
5 hrs 30 mins
This is a long cooking stew that is perfect for making in a pressure cooker to cut down on time. The original recipe is by Emeril Lagasse and he suggests you serve with Basil Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Fennel and Leeks, Sauteed Fennel and Leeks. I must say, the flavor combination is extremely pleasing. Included are both the stove top cooking method as well as the adaptation for the pressure cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef shanks
- 1 tablespoon emeril's creole seasoning (Bayou Blast)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb mushroom, stems trimmed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced or 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- 2Season shanks all over with the Bayou Blast (see NOTE) and brown in Dutch oven about 3 to 4 minutes per side (if using a pressure cooker, you can use a large skillet for the next couple of steps); remove to a plate.
- 3Add onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms to Dutch oven (or skillet) and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary; cook 2 minutes.
- 5Add red wine and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any bits that have stuck (if using the pressure cooker, pour everything in the skillet into the pressure cooker at this time).
- 6Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, beef stock, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; stir well to combine.
- 7Return shanks, and any accumulated juices, to the Dutch oven or pressure cooker; cover and bring to a boil.
- 8Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 5 hours in the Dutch oven, stirring occasionally (1 1/2 hours in the pressure cooker).
- 9Taste and adjust seasonings and serve.
- 10NOTE: Emeril gives this recipe for his creole Essence: 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoons salt, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme (Bayou Blast lists the following ingredients: salt, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, mustard powder, fresh lemon peel, and other spices).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine Braised Beef Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (673 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 936.0
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 1845.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 76.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: