Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
This appetizer was created for the competition at the Neptune Festival in Norfolk, VA. It's creators are four students at Culinary Institute of Virginia. We sincerely hope you enjoy!
- 2 quarts cream sherry
- 4 3⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 lb blue cheese
- 2 lbs cream cheese
- 25 cups diced pears
- 25 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 lb prosciutto
- 15 ounces phyllo dough
- 1 cup melted butter
- Heat oven to 350*.
- For the Sherry Reduction.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 quart of cream sherry to boiling.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to saucepan.
- Reduce mixture until in becomes a nappe consistency.
- Allow reduction to cool to room temperature and store in a squeeze bottle.
- For the Cheese Mixture.
- In a food processor blend together bleu cheese and cream cheese until smooth.
- Place in piping bag with a small star tip.
- For poached pears.
- Dice pears into 1/4" squares.
- Heat remaining 1 quart of cream sherry in pot to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer pears in liquid until fork tender.
- Strain and set pears aside.
- Slice strawberries 1/4" thick.
- Cut thin slices of prosciutto into 1/8" x 1/8" x 1/2" strips.
- Phylo cup.
- layer three sheets of phylo dough brushing melted butter melted between layers.
- Cut into 2" squares.
- Use cupcake paper liners to line a muffin tin.
- place phylo square into muffin tin.
- Bake in oven at 350 for 6-8 minutes until phylo cup is golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Arrange appetizer by starting with the phylo cup.
- Place 2-3 slices of strawberries inside.
- Pipe a small amount of cheese mixture between slices to stick them together.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of poached pears.
- Pipe medium star of cheese mixture onto pears.
- Arrange 1-2 strips of prosciutto on top.
- Drizzle the sherry reduction over fruit and cup.
one of the finest things i've ever put in my mouth!